05 March, 2014

Birdsong Quilt - Preview Before Binding

The quilting for my "Birdsong" quilt was just completed by my friend, Corrine.  I got my first peek at it at our Guild meeting this week.  I am so very pleased with the way that it turned out! Corrine did a marvelous job and I am so happy with it.  I did not want the quilt to be TOO heavily quilted. That makes a quilt much too stiff, to my way of thinking, feeling more like a potholder than a comfortable quilt.  And who wants a quilt like that?

Lighting conditions were not optimum as I took a few photos today, and these do not quite give the quilt the justice it deserves.  Corrine changed thread colors repeatedly throughout the quilt, so the red birds have red quilting and the blue birds have blue.  She also used various greens and browns for the leaves.  I know that it is SO much work to cut and change thread that often, but Corrine did just that and it makes all the difference.  I cannot image what the quilting would look like if it were all one color. 

I love the feather detail on the wings and tails.

And speaking of feathers, check out the positively delicious detail of the feather quilting in the 12 inch outer border.

Corrine created a paper template to lay out the feather quilting design.

This is the variety of thread colors that Corrine used in the quilting process. WOW!

Next step will be the red piped binding .  I will be using the same method used to bind my Hanging Basket Quilt. The binding usually goes remarkably fast, once I get to it.  I hope to have a photo of the finished quilt posted soon!  It should be finished in plenty of time for our big Quilt Show in April.  Stay tuned...

6 comments:

  1. Your Birdsong quilt is really beautiful. Tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite quilts that I've seen lately. It's just magnificent!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous!! You and Corrine did a wonderful job......can't wait to see it hung at the show!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabrics, the birds, the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your nice comments, Karen. If you move up to some of my more recent posts, you will see the completed quilt. I think that I enjoyed, really enjoyed, making this quilt more than any other that I have made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that your chose a printed background. It looks like the sampler from one of Moda lines
    a couple years ago. It stands up nicely and gives a dimension to the applique and IMHO, it enables you to use a deeper color palette in the applique items. Quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete